What is up with the temperature here in VA? I’m all for cooler weather, but yesterday was TOO cold! Winter, please stay away for a while! Even though it was frigid outside, it was nice and toasty inside. Thanks partially to furry socks and mostly to a fab dinner.
Last night, I made baked tilapia (for Marcus), sautéed green beans, acorn squash and garlic bread. Since I have given you two easy recipes for veggies, here is one for meat.
Old Bay seasoning
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Cut a small section of onion into slices and set aside for later.
3) If you wish, place wire rack on top of baking sheet. I use a wire rack to cook fish because it ensures that the bottom cooks evenly and doesn’t get too crispy. Spray rack with cooking spray.
4) To prepare tilapia, drizzle each piece with a tiny bit of olive oil. Then season as you wish. The seasoning is totally up to you. Marcus likes a little spice to I use cayenne and Old Bay. But you can use any seasoning in whatever amount you prefer. Tilapia is a mild fish, so it’s pretty easy to prepare.
5) Using your hands, rub the oil and seasoning in really well to ensure the fish is evenly coated.
6) Flip tilapia over and repeat process.
7) Add onion.
8 ) Bake in oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, check for doneness. Depending on the size of the fish, it may need more time. I cooked mine for 4 extra minutes.
Along with the tilapia, I prepared an acorn squash in the microwave. This was super easy and I was quite happy with the outcome.
1)Poke squash all over with a knife or fork.
2) Heat squash in microwave in 2 minute intervals.
3) After squash is soft to the touch, remove from microwave. My squash took 4 minutes.
4) Slice squash in half.
5) Scoop out seeds and guts. Just like a jackolantern!
6) Add whatever ingredients you want to jack up the flavor.
I added a teaspoon of butter and brown sugar to our squash halves along with a sprinkle of sea salt and a ton of cinnamon. It tasted just like fall! Even Marcus liked it and he’s not a huge squash fan. I have a feeling I will be making acorn squash a lot this season.
I gotta say, dinner was on point last night. I love when everything comes together and tastes so good.
After we ate, Bill discovered the dryer…
and Marcus and I watched the season premier of Dexter. I am SO glad this show is back. I forgot how much I loved it!
Have a great day! 🙂