Growing up, one of my favorite meals was homemade chicken fingers. Mom would patiently cut chicken breasts into strips, dip the strips into an egg mixture and then a flour mixture, and then fry each strip in oil on the stove top.
The process seemed to take forever. We would not so patiently wait for all the chicken to be done. And like the little sneaks we were, Tyler and I would snag a finger or two when mom wasn’t looking. My dad would make his “special sauce” and we would eat and eat. We all loved mom’s chicken fingers.
Since a) the task is pretty tedious, and b) I have no patience, I have perfected the art of fake fried chicken. With fake fried chicken, you get the crunch and taste of fried chicken but without all the work.
8 chicken breast strips (enough for leftovers)
panko bread crumbs
mozzarella cheese (optional)
spices to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
2) Prepare two dishes for dipping – one with a couple glugs of olive oil, and one with bread crumbs, cheese and spices. I used salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. I didn’t use any measurements – just eyeballed the amounts.
3) Dip one strip into the oil, coating both sides.
4) Then dip the strip into the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides.
5) Repeat with all strips and arrange in baking sheet.
6) Cook in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip chicken and cook for 10 more minutes.
*take a picture of your cat being adorable. 🙂
7) Cut a few strips down the middle to ensure doneness.
Now, wasn’t that easy?! The chicken had a crispy, crunchy, cheesy exterior with a moist, juicy interior.
Along with the fake fried chicken, I also served kale chips and quinoa pilaf. I cooked the quinoa in water and spiced it up using salt, pepper and TJ’s 21 Seasoning Salute. I also added fresh mushrooms and frozen corn and peas for extra veggie power.
For my protein, I had two free-range eggs cooked over medium.
You better believe I snagged a bite or two of the chicken for taste testing purposes.
Such an easy and nutritious meal. Have a fab one! 🙂